PROPER Function in Excel: Explained
In this article, you will learn how to use the PROPER formula in Excel.
What is the PROPER formula in Excel?
The PROPER function in Excel is a text function that converts a text string to proper case; which means the first letter in each word to uppercase, and all other letters to lowercase. The function takes any string or sentence as its argument and converts it into a PROPER case.
When is the PROPER function beneficial in Excel?
The PROPER formula in Excel is a useful tool for manipulating text strings and improving the readability and consistency of data. Some uses of the PROPER function in Excel are as per below:
- Standardizing Text: The PROPER function can be used to standardize text by capitalizing the first letter of each word in a text string. This is particularly useful when you have data that is not consistently capitalized, for example, when you have names or addresses.
- Formatting Reports: The PROPER formula can be used to format reports or other documents by capitalizing the first letter of each word in a title or heading.
- Data Analysis: The PROPER function can be used to analyze data that contains names or other text strings. For example, you can use the PROPER function to create a list of unique names from a larger list of names, or to sort data alphabetically based on the capitalized version of the text.
How to use the PROPER function in Excel
- Select the cell where you want to display the text in proper case.
- Enter the following formula into the cell: =PROPER(
- Input a text string that you wish to convert manually or refer to a cell containing the text
- The cell should now display the input string in proper case with first letter of every word capitalized
where input is the string which you want to convert to the PROPER format.
See below for how the formula is used:
Analyze your live financial data in a snap in Google Sheets
Are you learning this formula to visualize financial data, build a financial model, or conduct financial analysis? In that case, LiveFlow may help you automate manual workflows, update numbers in real-time, and save time. You can access various financial templates on our website, from the simple Income Statement to Multi-Currency Consolidated Financial Statement. Are you interested in this product but are an Excel user? That’s not a problem at all. You can connect Google Sheets to Excel quickly.
To learn more about LiveFlow, book a demo.
You can learn about other Excel and Google Sheets formulas and tips that are not mentioned here on this page: LiveFlow‘s How to Guides