Importing data into Google Sheets allows you to create customized reports, collaborate with others and work at scale.
Here’s how you import data into Google Sheets. We’ll start with a manual solution, then explore automated solutions to import data from other applications.
How to manually import data into Google Sheets
- Open the Google Sheet you want to import data into, click File > Import.
- Google Sheets can import these file types:
- Microsoft Excel (.xls, .xlsx, .xlxm, .xltx, .xltm)
- OpenOffice/LibreOffice (.ods)
- Comma Separated Variable (.csv)
- Tab Separated Variable (.tsv)
- Text files (.txt)
- MapInfo (.tab)
- Click Upload > Select a file from your device
- You’ll then be asked to select a file location, choose whatever works best for you and you’ll have your data in your Google Sheets
If you’re frequently importing files from other platforms to Google Sheets, this can become quite a tedious process. Put it this way, if you’re an accountant or CFO with 10 clients who ask for reports on a weekly basis, that’s at least an hour of your time spent per client importing data and adjusting reports. That’s 10 hours every week, totalling 40 hours a month!
Alternatively, you can hire someone to do this manual data entry from Upwork or Fiverr but whether that is cost efficient or not is subject to your expenses.
How to import live data from into your Google Sheets from QuickBooks Online
Don't want to spend hours manually importing data into Google Sheets? LiveFlow connects QuickBooks to your Google Sheet and automatically updates your financials. Spend less time manually moving data and more time driving your business forward.
Setting up LiveFlow takes minutes! Connect as many QuickBooks accounts as you’d like and create Live Reports which are updated in real time.
Import live data into google sheets by following these steps:
- Open your Google Sheet.
- Click on Extensions -> LiveFlow -> Create Report
- Select a report of your choice
- Click Create Live Report
If after reading this you are wondering: "How can I link Excel to Google Sheets in real time?", just check out this guide by LiveFlow: How to Connect Google Sheets to Excel.