September 19, 2022
Since the pandemic, remote work has become more popular and commonplace. Many accounting firms have taken advantage of this remote work trend by providing remote jobs for accountants.
If you're an accountant who is looking for a flexible accounting job, there are a few things you can do to set yourself up for success.
In this blog post, we will discuss how to set yourself up for success in your remote accounting career. We'll go over things like what tools and software you need, how to stay organized, and tips for staying productive.
Whether you're just starting out in your remote accounting job or you've been working remotely for a while, this blog post will help you get the most out of your remote job!
The first step in having a successful remote accounting job is to have a dedicated workspace. This could be a spare room in your house that you can close the door to, or even just a corner of your living room that you can set up with everything you need.
The idea, of course, is to have a home office, but the reality is that many remote workers don't have the space or budget for a separate room.
So, if you're working remotely and don't have a dedicated home office, that's okay! Just make sure that you have a designated area in your living space where you can work without distractions.
What do you need in your workspace?
● A desk: This is non-negotiable. You need a place to put your laptop, paperwork, and anything else you might need while working.
● A comfortable chair: You're going to be sitting for long periods of time, so you might as well be comfortable!
● Good lighting: Natural light is ideal, but if you can't get that in your workspace, make sure you have a good lamp to provide adequate lighting.
● Minimal distractions: This is key! Choose a space in your home that is relatively quiet and free from distractions like television, pets, or family members.
Remote work can be isolating, so it's important to have tools that help you stay connected to your team.
● Slack: This messaging app is essential for remote teams. It's a great way to communicate with coworkers without having to pick up the phone or send an email.
● Zoom: Video conferencing is a must for remote teams. Zoom is a great option for remote meetings, as it's easy to use and has a free version.
● Dropbox: This file-sharing service is essential for remote teams. Dropbox makes it easy to share documents and files with coworkers without having to email them back and forth.
There is also a range of accountancy-specific tools that can help you stay on top of your work, even when you're not in the office.
● Quickbooks: This is one of the most popular accounting software programs for small businesses and remote workers. It's simple to use and helps you manage your finances from anywhere.
● Xero: This cloud-based accounting software is a great way to manage your finances from anywhere
● Harvest: This time tracking software is essential for remote workers. It's a great way to keep track of your hours and invoicing, even when you're not in the office.
● FreeAgent: This is another great accounting software for remote workers. It's simple to use and helps you manage your finances from anywhere.
● Toggl: This time tracking tool is perfect for remote workers who need to track their hours for billing or invoicing.
● FreshBooks: This cloud-based accounting software is perfect for small businesses and remote workers. It's simple to use and helps you manage your finances from anywhere.
There are a few essential tools that every remote worker needs in order to be successful. With the right tools, you can stay on top of your work, communicate effectively, and stay organized.
When it comes to looking for completely remote accounting jobs, there are a couple of places to look for job postings.
● FlexJobs - This is a great site for finding remote jobs in a variety of industries, including accounting and finance.
● Indeed - Indeed is a job search engine that has a variety of remote accounting jobs posted on it.
● AccountingDepartment.com - This company hires remote workers for various accounting and bookkeeping positions.
● LinkedIn - You can use LinkedIn to search for remote accounting jobs by using the "Advanced Search" feature and selecting "Remote" under the "Location" drop-down menu.
● Glassdoor - Glassdoor is another job search engine that has remote accounting jobs posted on it.When you're searching for remote accounting jobs, be sure to include keywords like "remote," "telecommute," and "work from home" in your job search. This will help you find more relevant results.
Once you've found a few remote accounting jobs that you're interested in, the next step is to start applying! Make sure your resume and cover letter are up-to-date and tailored to the job you're applying for. In your cover letter, be sure to mention why you would be a good fit for the remote position and what makes you excited about it.
In order to be successful in a remote accounting job, there are a few key skills that you will need:
● Excellent communication: This is important for any remote job, but especially in accounting. You will need to be able to communicate clearly and effectively with your team, clients, and vendors.
● Strong organization skills: Since you will be working remotely, it is even more important to be organized and have strong time management skills.
● Attention to detail: This is critical in any accounting role, but even more so when you are not in the same office as the rest of your team.
● Accounting software experience: Most remote accounting jobs will require you to use some type of accounting software, so it is important to have experience with these programs.
The key to succeeding in remote jobs for accountants is to streamline your processes as much as possible. LiveFlow eliminates manual data entry and allows you to carry out your remote accounting duties with relative ease.
LiveFlow is a valuable platform built for QuickBooks, which is designed to make it easy to create an integrated, real time connection between your QuickBooks data and customized reports and dashboards in Google Sheets. This means that you don’t have to give anyone access to QuickBooks simply to review reports – you can use pre-built templates or bring live data to any customized report you already have. This way, you only share what departments need to see. The live connection between QuickBooks and Google Sheets means that your reports will always be up to date – without any manual exports, data formatting or hands-on effort.
Our platform also offers a range of templates and integrations that can help remote accounting teams work more efficiently.
To learn more about how LiveFlow can help your remote accounting team, schedule a demo today.